A Helpful List of Documents Required to File for Bankruptcy
If you’re looking to get a jump on filing your case, you may want to gather up the following documents. It will seem like a lot, but keep in mind that this list can be tailored to your specific situation. For example, if you own a home, then I would need a copy of your recent mortgage statement, mortgage, and deed. But, if you rent, I would just need a copy of your lease.
Please also keep that this information is crucial in planning your case, and having it handy it makes for a much smoother, stress-free case for you! It’s been my experience that putting in a little effort at the beginning of your case will pay off dividends down the road!
- Certificate of Consumer Credit Counseling (first course – must be done filing)
- Completed bankruptcy packet with income and expenses (provided at meeting)
- Copy of Photo ID & Social Security Card
- Paystubs/proof of income for past six months (including spouse’s income even if they are not filing)
- Bank statements for past three months
- Federal and state tax returns with W-2’s / 1099’s for past two years (or most recently filed returns)
- Most recent statement for all retirement accounts, whole-life insurance policies, & 529 educational savings accounts
- Most recent mortgage statement
- Copies of real estate mortgage and deed
- Rental or Lease Agreement or Land Installment Contract
- Divorce Decree & Property Settlement Agreement
- Name, address and telephone number of person receiving child support
- Copies of all lawsuits/complaints, garnishment orders, and/or foreclosure and sheriff sale notices
- Proof of any transfers, sales, gifts, trades or gifts of any type of property made in the past two years
- Proof of charitable contributions if over $100 per month
- Payroll email or fax number if being garnished (so that I can send them notice to stop the garnishment)
I had a great experience with Matthew! He made the whole process simple.- Justin M.
Matt was professional, he handled everything.- Deanna B.
Attorney Cree made sure he explained everything making sure I understood.- Lisa L.
Mr. Matthew Cree is an AMAZING Attorney! He always answers your questions very promptly.- Kellie C.
Every time we had a question or concern he would get back to us that day.- Tyler H.