Dispute Incorrect Credit Report Get back to the life you want to live. A life free from debt.

Disputing a Credit Report Entry in Greenwood

Have you checked your credit report recently? Perhaps you should. A recent Federal Trade Commission study found that 26% of consumers had potential errors on at least one of their three major credit reports! Even simple errors or inaccurate entries can negatively impact your credit score.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”) grants consumers the right to dispute errors in their credit reports and have the information corrected or removed. Failure to correct or remove the entry after proper notice can subject the creditor or provider of the incorrect information to strict penalties, including the consumer’s damages, attorney’s fees, and costs.

The Law Office of Matthew M. Cree, LLC is ready to help you correct your credit report. Call our Greenwood team at (317) 830-5993 or contact us online today.

Step 1: Obtain Your Credit Report

You can acquire a copy of your credit report from each of the three major credit reporting bureaus: Transunion, Equifax, and Experian. The FCRA requires these bureaus to provide you with a free copy of your credit report once per year. You can obtain your free credit report by visiting the government-sponsored site www.annualcreditreport.com.

Please note: if you go to a site that has “free” in the title, you’ll actually have to pay for each report.

Step 2: Review Your Credit Report for Inaccurate Details

Once you’ve obtained your credit report, carefully review it for any inaccurate information.

Be sure to review:

  • The prior addresses on file
  • Open versus closed accounts
  • Any negative accounts; and
  • “Trade line” items such as creditor names, balances, payment histories, and comments

You may find it helpful to highlight and flag the incorrect entries as you go along so you can easily reference them later on.

Step 3: Prepare Your Dispute Letter

To initiate the dispute and resolution process, you must send a notice of the incorrect information to the credit bureaus. Also send a copy to the party furnishing the incorrect information (usually a bank or credit card company). This can be in the form of a letter or an online notice through the credit bureaus’ websites: Transunion, Equifax, or Experian.

If you send a letter, use Certified Mail, return receipt requested, so you have proof of mailing and receipt if it comes time to pursue legal action.

What Your Dispute Letter Should Contain

Your dispute letter should be as specific as possible. It should contain:

  • The name of the creditor or party reporting the information (e.g. “Capital One Bank” or “Select Portfolio Servicing”);
  • The type of account (e.g. “Credit Card” or “Mortgage Liability”);
  • The account number or last four digits;
  • The reported current balance;
  • The reported past-due balance (if applicable); and
  • The status of the account.

The letter should also explain which information is incorrect and why you are disputing it. It should request that the information be corrected or removed. You can also request that the credit bureau and creditor acknowledge receipt of the letter.

Feel free to download our sample dispute letter here.

What Happens Next?

The credit reporting agencies have 30 days to evaluate your dispute. The credit bureaus must also notify the party furnishing the incorrect information within five days of receiving your dispute.

Based on the information provided in the dispute letter, the data furnisher must investigate your dispute and verify whether the information it gave the credit bureau is correct. If the information is not verified within 30 days or is inaccurate, then the credit bureau must remove it from your credit report.

The credit bureau will typically send a written response confirming that the information has either been verified or removed from your credit report. Starting in September of 2016, the credit reporting agency must also provide you with an additional free report through www.annualcreditreport.com if it corrects an error on your report. That way, you can check to verify that all information is correct.

What if the Disputed Information Is Not Corrected or Removed?

The FCRA carries serious penalties for a data furnisher’s non-compliance. If a data furnisher refuses to acknowledge the disputed information or continues to report inaccurate information after receipt of the dispute letter, then it could be subject to statutory damages of up to $1,000 and punitive damages for willful non-compliance. Even if the non-compliance was not intentional, the data furnisher could be liable for the consumer’s actual damages, reasonable attorneys’ fees, and court costs.

If you’ve disputed incorrect information in your credit reports and continue to encounter resistance, we highly recommend getting in touch with us as soon as possible. Because the FCRA requires the data furnisher to pay your attorneys’ fees and associated litigation costs if your case is successful, it may cost nothing at all to hold the data furnisher accountable for its non-compliance.

Let us defend your rights. Call (317) 830-5993 or contact us online to get started.

The Stories That Make a Difference 

Hear it From Our Clients 
  • I had a great experience with Matthew! He made the whole process simple.

    “I had a great experience with Matthew! He made the whole process simple and made sure to stay in touch every step of the process. I definitely recommend him to anyone who may be seeking bankruptcy ...”

    - Justin M.
  • Matt was professional, he handled everything.

    “Matt was professional, he handled everything. He gave me all the instructions I needed to do to get things rolling. Everything went quick and easy.”

    - Deanna B.
  • Attorney Cree made sure he explained everything making sure I understood.

    “Being so young and unknowing of all of my options, Attorney Cree made sure he explained everything making sure I understood. Communication was great not pushy at all. Makes you feel at ease. I’m ...”

    - Lisa L.
  • Mr. Matthew Cree is an AMAZING Attorney! He always answers your questions very promptly.

    “Mr. Matthew Cree is an AMAZING Attorney! He Always answers your questions very promptly. Whether they are by text, E-mail or by direct phone call. He makes everything from start to finish very ...”

    - Kellie C.
  • Every time we had a question or concern he would get back to us that day.

    “He is very professional and prompt! Every time we had a question or concern he would get back to us that day. I recommend anyone to reach out to Matt for any legal advice for bankruptcy! By far the ...”

    - Tyler H.

Meet Matthew M. Cree

Personal Guidance Through the Entire Process
  • Matthew M. Cree Photo
    Matthew M. Cree

    Attorney & Counselor at Law

    A Little About Matt Cree While passing the bar in both Indiana and Texas in the same year, I decided early on to stay true to my roots as a Hoosier and remain close to family in Johnson County, Indiana. For eight-and-a-half years, I practiced with one of the largest law firms in the county where I focused on bankruptcy , consumer rights, foreclosure defense , and general litigation. In 2015, I decided to make the leap and open the Law Office of Matthew M. Cree, where I continue to provide ...

What You Can Expect 

Help Starts Here
  • Experience

    Matt knows bankruptcy inside and out, and has over a decade of experience.

  • Flexibility

    We offer after-hour and weekend appointments to accommodate your busy schedule.

  • Accessible

    Matt is always available to answers your questions. You can expect prompt response times.

  • Personal Attention

    He takes the time to explain the process and walk you through it, step by step.

  • Free Consultations

    Your consultation is free. It's one hour and it could change your life.

  • Empathetic

    Matt has been though bankruptcy before and understands what you are going through.

Ready to Take The Next Step?

Request Your Free Consultation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.